The St. John’s Storytelling Festival goes Digital!
July 28, 2020 – The 17th annual St. John’s Storytelling Festival will look a little bit different this year. With the safety of performers and audiences in mind, the magic of storytelling usually reserved for concert halls will be broadcasting live online! Rather than following a traditional festival format, the St. John’s Storytelling Festival will host one spectacular evening of live storytelling on the last Wednesday evening of the month from August through November.
Personal stories, folk tales, mythic creatures, and lyrical legends will beam straight into your living room from acclaimed local, national, and international storytellers. Workshops typically scheduled during the busy festival week will expand and take place over multiple online sessions through the fall. And until we can safely meet in person again, our monthly Story Circle open mic events will continue to take place over Zoom.
As we adapt to the new normal, we are embracing this opportunity to hear tales from people all over Canada and the world, and to share the unique storytelling practices of Newfoundland and Labrador with audiences across the globe. Stories have brought us together and nourished us for thousands of years. They remind us of our shared humanity, help us process grief, find connection and celebrate magnificence. They carry us away into enchanted lands, into the future and the past. Stories are as resilient as the people who carry them. And the St. John’s Storytelling Festival will always find a way to celebrate and share them with you!
VIRTUAL SHOWS: SAVE THE DATES
VIRTUAL EVENTS: CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
Interested in performing in one of our upcoming virtual events? Here are all the details:
*please note that our August event has already been programmed
- Virtual events will take place the last Wednesday of the month. Submissions for that month’s show are due the 25 of each month for next month’s event; i.e. Submissions due September 25th for event on October 28th.
- Events are themed; story submissions should fall within the theme for the month:
September 30th: Personal Stories
October 28th: Mythic Beasts
November 25th: Land of Legends (TBC)
- Events will run from 7:30 – 9:30 pm, NL time (4:00 PST, 6:00 EST, 11:00 pm UK) on Zoom
- Each storyteller will have 15 minutes to perform one longer tale or a combination of shorter tales
- Performers receive a professional fee of $125.00 CAD
Please download and fill out the submission form, OR, e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following info:
- Brief Bio (2 – 4 sentences)
- Which event are you applying for?
- Brief description of story/stories
- Confirmation that you have a stable internet connection
Writing not your thing? We are happy to accept your submission by audio, video, or phone call! Let us know by e-mail what works for you.