WORLD BY THE TALE
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS
The 17th annual St. John’s Storytelling Festival will look a little bit different this year. With the safety of performers and audiences in mind, the magic of storytelling usually reserved for concert halls will be broadcasting live online! Rather than following a traditional festival format, the St. John’s Storytelling Festival will host one spectacular evening of live storytelling on the last Wednesday evening of the month from August through November.
*please note that our August event has already been programmed
- Virtual events will take place the last Wednesday of the month. Submissions for that month’s show are due the 25th of the month prior; i.e. Submissions due September 25th for event on October 28th.
- Events are themed; story submissions should fall within the theme for the month:
September 30th: Personal Stories
October 28th: Mythic Beasts
November 25th: Land of Legends (TBC)
- Events will run from 7:30 – 9:30 pm, NL time (4:00 PST, 6:00 EST, 11:00 pm UK) on Zoom
- Each storyteller will have 15 minutes to perform one longer tale or a combination of shorter tales
- Performers receive a professional fee of $125.00 CAD
Please download and fill out the submission form, OR, e-mail us at email@example.com with the following info:
- Brief Bio (2 – 4 sentences)
- Which event are you applying for?
- Brief description of story/stories
- Confirmation that you have a stable internet connection
Writing not your thing? We are happy to accept your submission by audio, video, or phone call! Let us know by e-mail what works for you.
2020 marks the 17th Annual Storytelling Festival,and we’re expanding! We also program group and solo performances, workshop series, professional development, school visits, and community partnerships year round. Our goal is to celebrate storytelling traditions from many cultures, to support new and experimental approaches, and to foreground the role of stories in shaping social change.
We are seeking enthusiastic individuals FOR the following roles:
- Directors at Large: Committed, inventive, progressive, and passionate about stories
- Treasurer: Meticulous, detail-oriented, some financial experience
Stories are central to how we live our lives. They enable us to preserve traditions, carry histories, and connect with one another. If you’re a passionate, innovative person who appreciates the magic of story, we want to hear from you!
Or, e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can e-mail one to you.